Health Care costs consume over 50% of corporate profits
Health is a Habit is a concise, practical introduction to personal health and wellness. Relevant for organizations that seek to educate and inspire their employees to create a healthy lifestyle, Health as a Habit is a simple way to help workers and their families to be healthy.
The investment the company makes by encouraging healthy lifestyles and by educating employees to learn ways to make healthy choices has many advantages and benefits. An employee health program can teach healthy habits that can reduce the risk of chronic and disabling diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and stress related problems as well as workplace injuries.
Written by health and wellness consultant Julia Massey, MA, CHES, Health is a Habit is an unpretentious workplace wellness book; an accessible read that raises awareness about how nutrition, exercise, dental care, sleep habits, smoking, addiction, and stress management impact health.
Research reveals health care, disability, sick time and employee retention are the most expensive line-items for large and small organizations. Health as a Habit helps organizations realize significant reductions in cost and financial benefits:
- Reduce sick leave costs by 27.8%
- Reduce health costs by 28.7%
- Reduce disability costs by 33.5%
- Reduce workers compensation costs and disability claims by 33.5%
- Save $5.50 in cost for every dollar investment
One of the foundational tenets of employee wellness programs is that it is clearly better to prevent health problems than to treat them later. Promoting a healthy lifestyle decreases risk of chronic or serious disease such as diabetes, heart disease, cancer, and stroke.
Healthy Habits Benefit Everyone
Benefits for organization:
- Increased productivity
- Lower healthcare and disability costs
- Lower absenteeism due to illness
- Lower costs for overtime workers to cover the cost of absent employee
- Decrease injuries
- Increased employee retention rate
- Increased employee morale
Benefits for workers:
- Improve health status
- Lower out of pocket cost for healthcare services (ie, less co-payments, lower deductibles)
- Increased well-being, self image, and self esteem
- Lower cost for acute health issues
- Decrease in work related injuries
- Higher quality of life